Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tart Cherry Juice


I managed to catch some Dr. Oz in-between classes this morning and he recommended tart cherry juice (has more benefits than sweet cherries) to fight against:
  • arthritis
  • gout
  • muscle pain
  • back pain
  • diabetes
  • neurodegenerative diseases
  • muscle soreness after workouts
  • difficulty sleeping
  • cancer
  • strokes and heart diseases
Other benefits:
  • contain phenolics, naturally-occurring plant compounds that have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant effects
  • has less calories and sugar content
  • contains naturally occurring melatonin (maintains sleeping cycles)
So of course I picked up a bottle of tart cherry juice this afternoon from Trader Joe's. Since Trader Joe's sells the bottle at a surprisingly reasonable price, I can afford to incorporate the juice into my diet from now on. I was sort of surprised to hear that tart cherries have significantly more antioxidants than acai berries. Crazy, huh? I know this is not the fountain of youth, but anything helps. :)

No comments: